Characteristics of unintentional ingestion of oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and analgesics in preschool children

  • Željka Babić Institute for Medical Research and Occupational Health, Zagreb
  • Nikolina Benco Kordić Children’s Hospital Zagreb, Department for Pediatric Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Zagreb, Croatia
  • Arnes Rešić Children’s Hospital Zagreb, Department for Pediatric Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Zagreb, Croatia; University of Split, University Department of Health Studies, Split, Croatia
  • Rajka Turk Institute for Medical Research and Occupational Health, Croatian Poison Control Centre, Zagreb, Croatia
Keywords: diclofenac, ibuprofen, ketoprofen, NSAIDs, overdose, paracetamol, poisoning, toddlers

Abstract

We characterised accidental ingestion of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and non-opioid analgesics in children aged 0–5 years between 2009 and 2019 by analysing records of telephone consultations with the Croatian Poison Control Centre (CPCC) and cases treated at the Children's Hospital Zagreb (CHZ). Among the total of 466 identified cases (411 from CPPCC records and 55 from CHS hospital records), the most frequently ingested drugs were ibuprofen (47 %), paracetamol (20 %), ketoprofen (15 %), and diclofenac (11 %). In 94 % of the cases unsupervised children ingested the drug left within their reach. The remaining 6 % were dosing errors by parents or caregivers and involved liquid formulations as a rule. Our findings can serve as real-life examples informing preventive measures.

Published
2021-12-23
How to Cite
1.
Babić Željka, Benco Kordić N, Rešić A, Turk R. Characteristics of unintentional ingestion of oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and analgesics in preschool children. Arh Hig Rada Toksikol [Internet]. 2021Dec.23 [cited 2022Aug.14];72(4). Available from: https://arhiv.imi.hr/index.php/arhiv/article/view/1446
Section
Original article

Most read articles by the same author(s)